Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Share The Earth

I was watching Animal Planet the other day and they were talking about deforestation and it's shocking rate. It is no new fact to me. I am a geography student and I learn the reasons behind deforestation. However, I always thought to myself, "What would a person managing the logging company say if he was interviewed?" In geog classes we only learn the basic 'duh-duh' reasons and the harmful effects of deforestation but not much of the mindset of the people behind it. Today, I got my answer.

Although I felt in my heart long ago that deforestation, mining and other industries that make use of large amounts of natural resources are really stupid, selfish and suicidal, I couldn't really say much as I didn't know what were their views. But now that I've listened to what they have to say, I can honestly say that I still feel that they are stupid and selfish. As for suicidal, they don't have the intention to kill themselves, but they are definitely digging a grave for planet earth!

These are some of their point of views and my reaction to them:
(Note these are all about deforestation)

"Brazil has so much land! If we can use it all to benefit the economy of Brazil and give people a better life, why not?"
Hey buddy, ever heard of sharing? Just because you live on that piece of big land doesn't mean that you have to use every single bit of land! Selfish! Selfish in the sense that you don't want to share space and selfish in the sense that you only want to benefit your own people when the land once belonged to other animals as well.

"Green peace (An environment group) is financed by another country. It's motive is most probably to make up warnings about the environment so that we will stop our production and that will give other countries opportunity to take over."
Scientifically proven, my boy... SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN. Even I can feel the effects of global warming. The dollar signs in your eyes are blinding you.

So the next time you see an insect or a mice or any other living thing that is not in the form of a human, do not kill them. They have nowhere else to live and nowhere else to go. Accept them, share the earth with them.

Our world is driven by money and this economic cycle is so strong that it is like a black hole that all of us are pulled into and all unable to withdraw. Who is to blame for global warming and all the things that are happening on earth due to human activity? The answer, I'm afraid, is us.

How? No one has a clue.


No comments:

Post a Comment