Friday, December 23, 2011

Helping Others.


I used to question my sincerity whenever I find myself doing things just to be nice or keep peace. But after thinking for awhile, I realised that I don't actually need to feel strongly for something to be sincere. I may go and volunteer at a orphanage and even though I don't really have a compassion for orphans (or children in general), I will do my best to help them because I feel for them.

Feeling and having compassion is a totally different thing. To feel is to understand and become aware. To have compassion is to be sympathetic and emotionally affected. Ask me which is healthier and I will say having to feel for another person is healthier because it doesn't take as much emotional energy as compassion! When we feel for something, we act with understanding. For example, we feel for our hands and we do not deliberately put it into hot oil! We do not necessarily have compassion towards our hands, but we feel for them!

Sometimes love comes in actions and a simple act of not moving an inch away when a bangala sits right next to you is a kind act on it's own. Of course, there is no compassion in that act, but because you feel for them, you understand that they are just humans seeking acceptance like us makes you more mindful of how you act when they are around. Just like how you don't deep fry your own hand, you won't do things to hurt them on purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment