Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Prestige

I was going to type this blog post yesterday but I didn't have time. I didn't know how a day could make such a big difference. It changed my entire view for this post.

Prestige is a kind of reputation arising from success. It's like a high rank. It gives a kind of power that commands respect. Prestige is a good thing. Everyone wants to be prestigious. They want it so much, they fight for it.

Being prestigious makes you special, it makes you a rank above the rest... Or at least most people view it that way. But what if you depend your identity on a prestigious role be it a scholarship, or a status in your career? Chances are, you'll mess up.

Prestige is a positive attribute. It's much easier to label yourself with positive attributes than negative ones because positive attributes make you feel good about yourself. I think that's the main reason why people tend to get too crazy about their prestigious positions. They are so attached to their prestigious positions that when they lose that position, they lose themselves.

It's no wonder why they protect their position with their life. Often stepping on others just so that they could get to the top of the totem pole. It sounds barbaric, but if one person starts behaving like this, everyone would too. No one wants to be at the bottom of the totem pole.

And the scary thing isn't the vicious cycle of prestige...
It is how easy you can lose yourself in the fight for it.

I have no solutions for this because I am stuck in the process of losing myself too. But maybe one day, I will comeback with answers and type a wiser post on this.



No comments:

Post a Comment